Sunday, November 11, 2007

Omward Bound

On my last day at Yogaville, I meditated in Swami Satchidananda's tomb, Chidumbarum. It sits atop a hill with panoramic views of the Blue Ridge mountains. During the lectures on chakras, the instructor talked about how part of the process of healing the chakras involved balancing the feminine and masculine energies in each energetic center. Swamiji was a living example of this balancing of the natural polarities. He possessed many feminine qualities like the ability to be nurturing and accommodating and he possessed qualities associated with masculine energy like being an exceptional leader and being strong. One of the teachers who knew him for 30 years said that she had never seen him embarrassed. I found this particularly inspirational. How amazing to be so sure of oneself that we no longer care about what others think of us. Swamiji was the opening act at Woodstock, played at Carnegie Hall, met with several US presidents and many world leaders, yet considered himself to be a simple monk.
The morning Hatha practice was an international class! 8 teachers taught asanas in 8 different languages and 3 students sneezed during the practice and received bless yous in 3 different languages. Those 8 t/t's who are now t's completed the program with the added handicap of English being a second language. Part of the graduation ceremony at Yogaville is an interfaith ceremony. Prayers and chants from most of the world's religions are spoken and sung in a beautiful ritual aarti- light ceremony. It was actually my favorite part of the 2 weeks.
Retreat is always multifaceted....at times arduous, at times sweet with the nectar of clarity.....
Some things I will take home with me: During the lunch mealtime, a reading is read from Swami's vast writings and during this time, everyone is silent. There is always a table in the cafeteria where one may choose to eat that is silent. I sat there one meal by accident and liked it so much that I sat there many other times by choice. I find that I enjoy eating mindfully in silence. Also, when I received the name Shri Devi at my t/t I abbreviated it to Shri because I thought people might find it too strange and with my abbreviated last name- it is a mouthful, but after being called Shri Devi for 2 weeks, I find that I love the name and have embraced it. The Hindu holiday, Diwali, which is dedicated to the Goddess Shri Devi, was celebrated Saturday night at the ashram. It was a reminder of how auspicious the name is and what a gift it was to receive it. I also love the ashram practice of wearing whites when teaching Yoga and for satsang. White is the color of purity and it made teaching special. I think I will continue this habit on Full Moon practices.
Today, Sunday, my family celebrated my father's birthday in the usual festive Hamilton way, and tomorrow I begin my drive home.

No comments: